SCHANI MOONG DAL CHILKA 500G
Green split moong Dal is also known as chilka Moong dal or Split green moong beans or green grams. These Green Moong lentils have been split but not skinned and have light yellow color inside.
1) Wash moong dal under running cold water till water runs clear. Take washed dal in a pressure cooker. Add 1 cup of water, close the lid, and put the weight on. And cook it for 4-5 whistles on medium heat.
2) Let the pressure go down by itself. Then open the cover.
3) Turn the heat back on medium heat. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt.
4) Mix well. And let it simmer for 2-3 minutes while you make tadka. If needed you can add water at this point. Add water as per you liking consistency of dal.
5) Now make tadka. Heat the oil in a small pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds let them pop. Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle a bit.
6) Then add ginger paste and garlic paste. Cook it for 30 seconds or till the raw aroma of ginger garlic goes away.
7) Add chopped tomatoes. Cook it till it becomes soft but not mushy.
8) Add red chili powder and garam masala. Turn off the gas heat.
9) Mix it well.
10) Add it to simmering dal.
11) Mix it well. Switch off the gas for dal as well, Garnish it with chopped cilantro and serve hot.